I have been going to these Love and Logic classes every Thursday Night with some ladies in my ward. I really didn't think I would get anything out of it because my kids are still pretty little and not in middle school yet. I actually have learned quite abit from just the few times I have been.
Did you now that on average the amount of time you actually spend talking to your kids is only three minutes a week. I was thinking no not me, I am always talking to my kids. That week I tried testing myself. Everynight before they go to bed I spend about an hour telling Kade to finish up his homework, Benson to get in the shower, heres your pajamas hurry and put them on and then go into the bathroom and brush your teeth, go potty before and come on kids lets get in bed. I spend most of my time telling my kids to do things.
This class actually tries to teach you to give some of the responsiblity to your children..
Here is an example, one Saturday I asked Kade if he had already finished his homework so we wouldn't have to do it on Sunday Night. He told me that him and Dad already finished it. So come Sunday night when it was time for bed I said to Jordan it's a good thing you and Kade already did the homework. Jordan's response,"We did." And you know all us parents we hurry up and try to get it done so we don't look like the bad parent to the teacher. This class has taught me that since he lied about it and it's bed time I guess he is going to have to stay in for recess at school tomarrow and finish it and hopefully next time he will have learned his lesson. If he calls from school and says,"Mom I forgot my library book, will you please bring it to me?" My response, " Kade sorry but you need to make sure you put that in your book bag at night so you don't forget it." I know this sounds harsh, but even if you are going to the school anyway don't take it because they need to learn to be responsible and after a couple of times of not taking it I garantee they won't forget it.
I am constantly telling Benson to hurry up and get dressed for preschool or we're going to be late. I have not done this but several people in the class have, they take there kids to daycare or preschool in there pajamas or bring there clothes in a plastic bag and they have to hurry and get dressed there. They said I have not had to ask them to hurry and get dressed again.
I have my sisters girls playing over at my house alot and the kids are always telling on eachother and when they come to me I just tell them they need to work it out themselves. They actually have and it's been nice. If I really want one of the kids to do something and they really want to play on the wii, I simply say feel free to play on it all you want as soon as you get your task done. If it takes them till bed time, maybe tomarrow they will get that task done sooner so they can play. The feel free method is a really good insentive to get them to do what they need to do because there is a reward when it's accomplished.
There are plenty more ideas. If any of you ever get the opportunity to take the class I really recommend it. I spend more time enjoying my kids and less time nagging on them. So we are all happy..
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
I took a love and logic class several years ago and I read the books frequently because they really WORK!! I love it! I just wish my brain would think to use it all the time! There is a book for 0-6 years olds that I use right now, it is worth every penny!
I love all the tips. I need to work on it with my younger two..... I am really good about talking to Alexis and we can talk a lot to each other, but then Elizabeth isn't much of a talker and likes to be on her own so I have a hard time getting her to open up. You will have to post other things you get from the class to help me out.
Jill
Tannis!! I love the love and logic method!!! We have been using it since bentley was about 16mos. old! It teaches them not only to make good, thought out decisions, but how to communicate their thoughts and concerns!!! I love it!!!! good luck and stick with it you will love the change it can make!!
Good advice.
I've heard so many good things about this book. I really need to read it. Thanks for sharing--you're a good mommy!
I have read the books but haven't taken the classes. I would love to take the classes! I think that the Love and Logic stuff really works. I just have a hard time thinking of it right away instead of getting upset.
I have heard wonderful things about love and logic! I need to look it up down here and see if I can take a class! Good info, keep posting the parenting tips. I obviously need them! :)
Post a Comment