Has anyone ever gone to church on Sunday and wondered why they even bothered?
I have those days often expecially since Jordan was put in the bishopric about a year ago.
This last Sunday was probably one of the most challenging.
The day started pretty good Jordan made us all breakfast to start our day, which was so yummy, then off to church he went two hours before we have to be. We use to listen to church music on Sunday Mornings before church but since Jordan hasn't been around I have had to keep the kids (Porter) occupied with pretty much everything(which makes my house trashed before church) so he won't be in the bathroom while I'm getting ready. I think Kade and Benson fought all morning about everything and top it off Porter was so tired and ready for a nap before we even headed out the door. I just thought how am I going to do this? I made the kids all gather around in the living room for a quick prayer for guidance and so we could all have a soften heart towards eachother while attending church.
We usually can get through passing of the sacrament, but after things usually don't go as planned. First Porter was so fussy and would not quit climbing all over me and Benson wanted to go and sit with his cousins and he was so mad that he kept repeating "I hate church" really loud so that everyone could hear. In the mean time Kade started freaking out because his tooth popped out and was bleeding all over. I had to get up and take care of him and a nice elderly lady offered to help but Porter nor Benson would give her the time of day which I was in desperate need of.
I often wonder how some people get the kids who will sit and I mean sit still the whole hour of sacrament. Is there a secret out there? What am I doing wrong? Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make sacrament meeting more meaning full for me and my kids?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
Oh Tannis, that sounds so awful. I don't have kids so I shouldn't be giving advise, but Jana (my sis) had the kids sit down and they made family rules. Then she had the kids pick out punishments for the broken rules. Her kids were 2 1/2 and 4 when she did this. Of course the rules and punishments were fitting for their ages. Since the kids couldn't read she printed of pictures of the rules and punishments and put them on a poster. Whenever the kids broke a rule she had them go to the rule chart and say what the rules were, and have 2-3 min time out below the rule chart on a specific chair. (all the broken rules had the same punishment)
Maybe you could take this and apply it to church. Do an FHE about Sunday and how you behave and what the purpose is and what you expect your kids to do. Then let the kids pick out Sunday rules and a punishment for not following them. Let the kids help you in making a poster. Jana says consistency is the best policy. If you feel like something else will work better, just do it all the time and your kids will know what to expect from you and Jordan.
On Jana's blog she has a lot of links to parenting or kids web sights. But I think she learned this from Angie Miller Wyatt blog.
Good luck!!
I totally know about the before church choas because my husband has meetings for 2 hours before church, but thank goodness he sits with us during Sacrament meeting. We take lots of busy books, snacks, and make going in the hall very unpleasant. My kids are not perfect in church but it works. Sadly there isn't a magic trick, GOOD LUCK!
I feel your pain! I don't think I've learned anything at church since I had kids, let alone felt the spirit. I wish I had an idea about how to do such things, but I pretty much run damage control. I also just pack a lot of toys and food since church runs right through our lunch. Our 1st counselor's wife has three small children and she always sits with another couple who help her because her son is very busy. She seems to do much better with the help - she hasn't had to kill her kids in the hall yet so it may work. Good luck.
Oh Tannis my heart goes out to you!!! I love what shana said and kinda do the same thing. My boys have NEVER been allowed to go out in the halls when they are naughty. They go out with Josh or I and are forced to sit quietly on our laps and fold their arms. SOOO needless to say they NEVER want to be taken out. that being said, they aren't perfect always, but we haven't had to discipline them in a long while. I also make sure there are toys/snacks that they ONLY get on sundays. So they seem to behave so much better due to the uniqueness of the sunday routine. Also, since little porter is still little, sit the older boys and explain to them that Heavenly father made them the oldest for a reason! So that they could help Porter be the best little boy he can be. (that one really worked with Bentley!!) But you are a good mom and don't stress too much all moms struggle at one point with church drama!!
GOOD LUCK!!!
I don't know how you do it with Jordon on the stand... and I can't believe he is in that already.... He seams way to young. But I guess he is such a great guy, he will most likely be in it a lot.... (sorry)
I know that my dad was always in the bishopric and my mom with us five crazy kids would go home and cry almost every Sunday. I always try to take a book, or something they want to look at after the sacrament, and then we take a treat if they act nice.... it is so hard, I hope that you have a better week next week, but the biggest thing is to keep going so they don't get out of the habit of going. If I ever miss a week, the next week is so so so bad....
Jill
Oh yea, I did ask a lady in my ward that has six kids under the age of 8 how in the helk she got her kids to act so good. (they never even wiggle talk or anything, they are all perfect) (makes me so mad) anyway I asked her how she got them to be so good, and she told me that she has them practice at home how they act during church. So she will have them play church as a play time, or before they are going to church she does a little family home evening chat about what she wanted them to act like.... I tried it and it really does work. But on the day's that we have to fly out the door to make it on time, I can tell they needed that little talk before we left the house.
Jill
I hear ya!I wish I had some good advice, but we spend the majority of our time in the hall. Let me know when you find the magic cure for restlesness during church. Good luck!
Post a Comment