We went to Island Park last Friday which I will post pictures later. When we got home Friday night Kade told me he had a stomach ache with some diarreaha, But he slept all night and on Saturday he looked white as a ghost including his lips. He was using the bathroom quite a bit but I sitll thought he was okay. Sunday Morning he woke up feeling fine so we went to church and had a family birthday party to attend, he ran around and was fine until we were getting ready to go home and he was feeling sick again. We took him home and he was up every 20 minutes with dirreaha which contained blood. I called the doctor's office the next morning and they told me I needed to take a stool sample in and get it tested. They said they probably wouldn't get the results back until Tuesday or Wednesday in the mean time just keep him hydrated. That evening I just had a bad feeling so I paged the doctor and told him I talked to one of the Physicians Assistant and she said to just keep him hydrated. He told me that I needed to take him to the Emergency Room and get some blood tests done on him along with a hydrate test, Thats when I started to get panicky. I called my mom to come and watch Benson and Porter so that Jordan and I could take Kade in to the ER. They ran some tests to make sure his Kidneys were still functioning the proper way. And everything was good. He went Monday night and all day Tuesday that night and all day Wednesday really sick where he was in the bathroom every half hour. The doctor kept calling checking on him and telling me to try and be patient until we get the test results back, that the most important thing was to keep him hydrated. My sister had been on the internet looking up symptoms to Ecoli and he had all the symptoms, but I had no idea how he would of gotten it. We all eat the same things and no one else in our family is sick. Until she asked if he has been in contact with any reptiles. I said not that I can think of. She went on to say that Turtles carry Ecoli on there backs. Thats when the light came on and I told her that Last Sunday our neigbor boy had a turtle he found in the pond behind his house and I remeber I would not let Benson go because he was being naughty, but Kade went and touched it for a few minutes before they released it back into the pond. Ecoli has an incubation period of 2 to 8 days and that was in the time frame of when he started to get symptoms, from that point on I had a gutt instinct that he had ecoli I didn't even have to wait for the test results to come back to know. But they finally came back positive with ecoli. I had no idea that turtles contained ecoli or I would have never let him come in contact with it. The doctor has called everyday checking on him making sure his symptoms improve.
I have to say that has been one of the scariest most exhausting things that I have ever had to go through. I honestly don't know what I would do if anything ever happened to him. He brings so much joy into our lives. I am so thankful for the help and many prayers from our family and friends.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
I didn't know that turtles carried that either. That is awful! I hope he gets feeling better soon!!
Oh my gosh Tannis!! that is awful!! Bentley had this weird health thing a month or two ago and I went through the same worries!! I AM SO SORRY! I know exactly how you feel!! I hope your little guy gets feeling better soon! my heart just aches thinking about it!
I am so sorry! There is nothing worse than a sick child. I had no idea that turtles carried E. Coli. Yuck!!! See- there's a reason that I hate animals! I hope that he gets feeling better really soon!
How scary! I think I would have a nervous breakdown if my kids were pooping blood! It is odd, but I did know that about turtles, because our friends have one and my husband made my girls wash their hands after touching it and I thought he was being a bit overbearing but then he told me about the E.Coli thing! I've never known anyone to actually contract E. Coli from turtles, but I guess I should tell my husband that he's not a wacko after all. I sincerely hope Kade is feeling better pronto and way to go on being so pro-active and figuring out what was wrong.
Wow, I didn't know that turtles carried ecoli. I feel so bad for Kade, I am sure he was miserable. It was probably worse on you though. I hate when June is sick because sometimes there is nothing I can do to make her better. Glad to hear that you guys are ok now.
I was in tears just reading that. How scary! I hope he is doing better now though. I would've never guessed a turtle. I'm sure you were a mess and exhausted. I hope all is well.
I just let my kids play with turtles at my dad's a few weeks ago- yikes. I never would have guessed that! I hope he is starting to feel better..... and you too!
Tannis, I'm so sad to hear about your little boy. I'm glad he's doing much better. Who would have thought playing with a turtle could make you so sick? Thanks for the warning.
Post a Comment